Thursday, May 3, 2012

     So, I remember about three years ago, me and my old man attempted a camping trip. It went great, honestly, in my mind it couldn't have gone better. Yeah, it was freezing, and the night was long, but I learned a lot of things. I always learn a lot when I hang out with my Dad. We stayed up and talked about life, and school, and church, and a lot of things. We talked about his life and the lessons he had learned. In this conversation I carried two things away. Two life lessons that I will never forget. Leadership, and Love.


     My Dad is a great leader. He'd probably laugh at you if you told him this(He's probably reading this and laughing or at least smiling right now), but that's one of the things that makes him so great at it. He's never sought leadership, and doesn't necessarily like it when he has it, but when it has been put on him and given to him he does it well, and is always ready to give it up or pass it on. 


     Abraham Lincoln said, "The true test of a man is power."(Or something along those lines.) George Washington was another man of leadership and power. At the end of his Presidency people were beginning to toy with the idea of just making him the King. As a matter of fact, word got across the big pond to the King of England. The King of England is quoted as saying "If he gives up this power, he will be the greatest man on Earth." You see, great men and women who are great leaders don't care about their position or the amount of power they possess. They just walk in and get stuff done.


     Love is the second thing I remember from that cold night. For one, he loved me enough that halfway through the night I woke up and all but one of the blankets was on me. That was probably my bad... Anyway. My Dad has always loved my Mom. From the teenage years all the way till' now. Through the good, and the bad. Through the hard times and through the wonderful times. The bad times were bad. My Dad taught me through his example and through his stories that Love is not an emotion. I had always considered love as just a feeling. It's not. Love goes so far beyond feelings. Feelings may accompany it, but they can't sustain it or hold it up. Love means standing with someone or in a situation when nothing is going right. Whether it's with a friend, in marriage, in your job, or anywhere. 


     It's pretty cool the things you can learn when you take the time to hang out with your parents or grandparents. It goes the same with God. You can learn some awesome, crazy things when you hang out and listen to God. Just like I listen to my Earthly Father and Mother, I listen to my Heavenly Father. You can learn a lot from both. Take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment